An Indiana company is recalling about 91,000
Go-Karts for repair after one teen-age girl was killed and two
others seriously injured when their hair got caught in partially
exposed engine parts behind the seats.
Manco Products Inc., of Fort Wayne, Ind., received a report of a
13-year-old Idaho girl dying from a fractured neck when her hair
got caught in the drive chain and sprocket of a Go-Kart she was
driving, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Monday. In
Michigan, another 13-year-old girl suffered a scalping injury, and
a 16-year-old girl lost consciousness and suffered severe head
The vehicles in the current recall were sold under the Manco,
Phoenix, Fox, Rattler and Coyote labels. The one- and two-seat
carts are powered by gasoline engines and most have brush bars to
protect riders from low tree branches and other foliage.
The recall involves two groups of carts. All have a black serial
number on a silver label located on the floor pan immediately in
front of the driver's seat.
The first group has black plastic deck covers over the rear axle
and brake. Their serial numbers are: 1757022 through 1855821, and
3000010 through 3050632.